3 Actions to Organize Your Closet

Your closet has a HUGE impact on you, so we have to take care of it! And organizing it is one of the first steps to building a closet you love. Try these 3 easy actions to organize that closet. 

3 Actions to Organize Your Closet.png

#1. Remove items that don’t fit (ahem) or feel amazeballs

Listen, I KNOW you might think that those pants you are working to fit into are motivating (and, okay….for some people, perhaps), but for most of us, it is a reminder of where we are NOT instead of where we are NOW.   And here’s the thing {{first_name}}, one of the keys to our happiness, is loving where we are NOW. And it is that patience, understanding and gratitude that is truly needed before we can move forward.  

PRO TIP: Create 3 piles of clothes:  Love, Leave or Maybe. Love pile goes back in the closet. Leave goes to donate or sell. Maybe needs to get to a Love or a Leave.  Make a decision after 1 month! You can try these additional steps to get you there! 

#2. Make sure you can see it so you don’t forget it

Because I am on a year of no shopping, I am “shopping” in my closet and the phrase I keep freaking saying is, “I forgot I had that!”  - I don’t recommend this.  You should be able to see everything in your closet and if you can’t see it, it should be intentional. For example: you are moving certain items you wear ALL OF THE TIME out of sight, so you can start wearing some of the other items in your closet. Women only use about 20% of what is in their closet...WHAT!? True story. And honestly, a lot of that is because we aren’t keeping it organized.  

PRO TIP: If your closet is messy 2 days after you organize it, then you aren't making it easy to put your clothes away.  I needs to be easier to put away that it is to get out.  

#3. Create some “mood” sections

Woah, Bri...you’re gettin’ weird again (you know how I roll). You know emotions are driving a lot of our decisions right?  Well, we get dressed in the morning based on how we want to feel, HOWEVER we organized (usually) by function.  THAT DON’T MAKE NO SENSE!

When I lived in NYC, I worked for a very busy PR & Marketing firm and we ran A LOT of events. AND, like most NY events, we were required to wear black. Fast forward to Denver and I found myself with a black wardrobe in a really sunny city. Also, I’m kind of a big goofball (I know this is shocking to you) and the black felt stifling (I like to describe myself as classy with a quirky twist). BUT, I could not replace a whole wardrobe, nor did I NEED to. So I began creating my “funky” section in my closet. Crazy pieces that sing to my heart and are easy to pair with my black wardrobe. I also have a Badass section (which is my go to for big meetings)!  Get creative and give this a whirl! 

PRO TIP: If you are struggling to figure out what section to create, simply think about the events, days etc. that have you trying on outfit after outfit.  Those moments are great indicators of a special section that might be beneficial.

So, if we are only using 20% of our closet...basically, the other 80% is clouding your decisions, slowing you down in the morning and taking up precious space! Let’s change that.

You don’t have to have a lot of items in your closet, you just need the right items. And when I say “right” I mean make you feel like a badass!

Get after it!  

Livin & Lovin’